Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Day 2

Today I’m in Rayners lane library, finishing off my blog entries. Let’s put it this way, I now long for the halcyon, relatively noise free, day at Gayton Library. There are far more problems with Rayners lane Library. First, down to an incredibly bad bit of planning half of what used to be the study area is now designated as a children’s library. There may be a flimsy wall and doors between us, but I could still hear them shrieking and whooping. Not the kids fault, but bloody annoying all the same. Then there’s been someone who decided to have a long conversation about the poor mark she got on her essay that she didn’t feel she deserved. Quite frankly, I think she did deserve it if only because she talks loudly to people on her mobile phone in libraries. After all, when I got a call (from the agency, offering me interviews at jobs that had a sales aspect. When will they learn? That said, I’d rather they mentioned things to me than not). Then there’s the scary Asian guy, who picked up a newspaper, and, unbelievably loudly turned, no flung, each page open as if he was trying to cause maximum annoyance. This was clearly part of his two pronged aural assault because he combined it with the sort of heavy breathing that would put Darth Vader to shame (two Darth mentions in as many post. I’m a hack). Of course, the thing I found most disturbing about him was the fact that he spent a good few minutes, as he started reading the paper; he sat in his seat, rocking his upper body back and forth in the manner of a complete loon. Libraries are truly scary places. I’ll give Gayton one more go tomorrow (Rayners Lane’s closed on Wednesdays), but I’m starting to think this whole library thing might not work out as well as I could have hoped. I definitely, so far, prefer Gayton. For one it’s simply a nicer environment. Secondly they don’t mind you having a drink whilst you work. In fact, given the presence of a hot drinks station they clearly encourage it. Rayners Lane, backwards thinking as ever, have signs across the library that completely forbid food and/or drink.

Plus, whilst I have been writing, I still haven’t actually properly started my screenplay. I think that maybe I don’t enjoy having to tediously set up the formatting etc. Maybe I’ll give all that a go when I get home. Anyway, that’s where I have to head right now because my battery is once more, about to die. There are plug sockets by the desk at Gayton, so I should be able to use it off the mains. Failing that I’ll probably borrow my sister’s battery (she has the same laptop, so it should work). I should really get myself a spare battery for just this sort of occasion. Perhaps once one crops up on eBay that I can actually afford and finishes at a time when I can actually be at my computer for the close of the auction, and not finished at 10.44pm on Friday night when any sane person is bound to be out down the pub.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to go down crouch end library to work, i'd usually see minty off eastenders down there, checking his email. I tried wood green library for a while, but that was a bit scarier. I was so pleased, doing my MA, that i could use King's College library, utterly perfect. Better than Senate House. No nutter element whatsoever.

Anonymous said...

Doubledown - have you tried using Celtx script writing software? It's great! You don't need to worry about formatting, it's all automatic, just like Final Draft.

It's free at:

www.celtx.com

PS I love your blog, it's like watching a really downbeat comedy drama! Post some more news soon.