Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hang on a minute lads, I’ve got a great idea.

That's it. Enough of this moroseness. These are the things I resolve to do.
Write more. It always makes me feel better, even if I'm just blogging. I do, however, need to write with more purpose. Perhaps I should actually get round to writing a film, a novel, or even a short story. I could even write up a few reviews or work on some of the article ideas I've had recently.

Exercise more. I need to lose weight and get fit. Besides, exercise releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy. Happiness combats depression. Depression stops me from doing things. Actually, it's a bit of a no-brainer really. The only difficulty is getting started on a routine that I can actually stick to.

Get out the house more. If I walk to wherever I’m going I can get exercise. If I take my laptop to wherever I’m going can write. This will kill two birds with one stone. Of course, this one is easier said than done. After all, it is very cold outside this time of year.

Less video games. I don’t actually play that often, but I tend to get upset when I lose. Unfortunately, since around 90% of all Halo 3 players are way better than me, I tend to lose a lot.

And finally, less depression. I’m going to try to think positively. Logically I know that I have a lot going for me, but self-doubt always creeps in, crippling me. I need to modify the way I think. Clearly, given the ineptitude and unwillingness of the NHS to provide me with the professional help that would greatly benefit me, I’m going to have to figure things out for myself.

That’s it. If I can do those things I can set myself up to get to where I want to be.

I want…

A new job that I can be proud of. I want to gladly tell people what I do, not hide it out of embarrassment.

Move out. Being at home is not good for me. A more positive environment will help me to achieve more.

Maybe meet someone. We’ll see about this. I’m still hoping that serendipity will take care of this one. Contrived and proactive measures like online dating clearly aren’t for me. I might, however, consider speed dating, though only after I have some sort of job (and it doesn’t have to be my dream job, just enough to give me a modicum of self esteem).

This time I have to do it. I have to actually take positive steps towards where I want to be. Staying here, where I am now, simply isn't an option.

And now, with all that decided, it's time for bed.

No comments: