Monday, July 11, 2005

The question is… Why?

It occurs to me that I truly have no idea why they felt the need to bomb London. I have no idea about the cause that these people are trying to further. I can assure you, that it's not for lack of trying to find out that I have no idea. From what I can gather they've never given a reason for their actions.

At this time no credible organisation has declared responsibility for the atrocities in London. No organisation has told us why they did it. No organisation has told us what they hope to achieve. Really, I’m asking truthfully, what is their problem? Because to my knowledge nobody has ever told us what drives them to plant bombs that kill innocent commuters. Under what circumstances has violence become the first rather than the last resort? Tell us, why do you hate us so much? What is your problem? Perhaps if we talk, like civilised people we can come to some kind of understanding. Western governments aren’t all great. Some are probably corrupt, and decadent, but not a single one of them is irredeemable. Not one needs to be completely cleansed. Anybody who thinks that is a manic of Hitler-esqe proportions.

But really, I’ve been approaching this all wrong. There is no us and them here is there. If there were that would suggest a very black and white world. And believe me, I’ve lived long enough to realise that the world isn’t polarised. It exists in the ground that lies between the black and the white, the good and the evil. There is no such thing as an absolute.

I though about it for a while too. I wondered, could it be the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that have angered these people? It’s an argument that I’ve certainly heard before, but unfortunately it’s a deeply flawed argument that can be disproved by mentioning a single date. 11th September 2001. Before 9/11 there had been no war in Afghanistan and the second gulf war was some time away. Yet on that day thousands of people of all nationalities were murdered. Clearly these attacks are not a result of recent wars, so I’m left only with my original question; Why? There must be a reason.

Perhaps somebody can tell me or better still tell somebody more important than me so that we can go some way to sorting this out. However, I fear that the sort of people who would murder indiscriminately don’t need a reason. I suspect that reason is a concept that they left behind a long time ago. But please, prove me wrong.

No comments: